LF: re TV QRM

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: re TV QRM
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 00:07:24 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Steve, well I suspect the problems will be swept away by changing the
verbage if we were to make too big a fuss with the authorities. I suspect
the actual conditions of the TV licence depend on one of the Radio Telgraphy
Acts possibly modified by later Radio Communications Bills. I remember
seeing that in the late 50s or early 60 there was similar wording on the TV
licence document. Then quite suddenly it changed to say "no undue
interference". I thought at the time that was sneaky as the 10.125kHz from
the old 405 line service was a killer on the MF bands.  I am not sure
whether it stated "broadcast services" or not. To use this with the RA
"sledgehammer" would just be to get them to change that line on the next
licence print (lowest cost option).

My guess is that the dealer is the most vulnerable point of attack. First he
stands to loose a customer and as conditions are at the moment no-one wants
that. The customer could quite correctly cite the Sale of Goods Act at him
and invoke the local Trading Standards. He might also worry about the
possibility of being sued by the customer, a growing problem in the UK with
solicitors looking for business everywhere. It is also a gentle way to get a
slight edge in the negotiations with your neighbour I would suggest. We
always seem to be at a disadvantage. The knock out blow is when you offer to
cure it for no charge without voiding the warranty. I think it should be
possible to get the dealer to pay for a braid-breaker and/or a mains filter
(RSGB EMC bits??). It the dealer says there is no EMC spec below 1MHz, which
is probably correct, you can tell him that you are not invoking that
legislation. The RT Act as I understand it in essence requires that these
radiations be kept within the boundaries of your own premises. (a rather
difficult thing to achieve!!)  As a final blast how out the Human Rights
legislation....you must surely have a right to enjoy your chosen hobby
within your own premises without unwarranted interference from another
property!! This one could bite both ways if you have TVI problems when you
transmit!!

"Hobby-horse" now stabled !! Good luck one and all.
Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]