LF: Re: [AmFmTvDx] Long Wave Broadcasting

To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: [AmFmTvDx] Long Wave Broadcasting
From: [email protected]
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 21:47:01 EDT
Sender: <[email protected]>
In a message dated 9/5/2001 9:53:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:

<< This my seem a silly question, but I am curious.

   How is the audio quality of European LW BC stations? The bandwidth
percentage is really something on those frequencies.

(Most sound very good even in their secondary coverage area. The Far East Russian stations are often muddy and lack high end, but I think this is due to poor network lines. You are right, large surface size on the radiators help improve the bandwith , but base tuning is sharp. Look at what a large percentage just a sideband swing of a 8 Khz audio is, when your zero carrier freq. is just 153 Khz! -bw)

   Do they have special audio processing techniques? Are they rather
"narrow" for broadcasting?

(Almost all LW and MW stations in Europe run a limit of 90% modulation by mutual agreement to limit adjacent channel splatter. Remember, 9 Khz spacing used, sometimes less in the case of Europe 1 and Konigswusterhausen on longwave-bw)

What type of antennae do the LW stations use? (Most run verticals. A famous 1/4 wave longwave tower in Poland came crashing down a number of years ago. Most impressive are the multi-tower directional 1/4 wave arrays used by France on 162 and others-bw)

   Just curious and very interested!
(Hope that helps. Brock WH6SZ/4 Atlanta)

Doc.