LF: Re: CFA (once more)

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: CFA (once more)
From: "Alberto di Bene" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 10:31:22 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Rik Strobbe wrote:

Some interesting articles (both for the 'believers' and 'non believers')
about the Crossed Field Antenna can be found at :
http://www.eriinc.com/IEEE/
[...]

On this subject, this last weekend I went to a hamfest in Piacenza, Italy,
where some commercial prototypes of the EH Antenna were presented.
They had a couple of Yaesu FT-1000MP, one connected to a full size
dipole for the 40m band, and the other to an EH antenna for the same band.
I asked if I could play a little with them, they said 'yes, of course'.
Then I tuned a faint CW signal with both receivers. The full size dipole
outperformed the EH but only by a slight edge, which apparently was
remarkable, given the difference in size. But then I went outdoor, to look
at both antennas. The EH was installed just half meter above the center of
the dipole.... hmmm... I suspect a strong coupling between the two...
probably the lines of force of the electromagnetic field were made denser
by the dipole in the proximity of the EH antenna...

Then I asked for a further test on the 20m band, where no dipoles were
installed, using this time an indoor EH antenna, mounted on a 2-meter tall
support. They agreed, and even connected a microphone to the transceiver.
The 20m band was rather quiet (it was about noon on Saturday), with only
a few signals. I called a Cyprus station who called CQ Contest, but no
answer.
Then I found another station, an SV1, also calling CQ. This one answered me,
giving me an S5 report, but then he failed to answer a question I posed him,
showing that my readability was less than perfect...

All in all, I am quite skeptical about this antenna, theoretical
considerations aside.
A friend OM regularly makes QSO with a 1.5m whip, base-loaded, from his car
on the 7, 14 and 21MHz bands, so this new EH antenna seems to perform
nothing
more, nothing less than a short loaded dipole, not worth the money they ask
for
it, nor the troubles for building it.

Just my opinions.

73  Alberto  I2PHD