LF: Re: Re: IC-706 on LF

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: IC-706 on LF
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 18:57:51 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Ian, I made some measurements with my rather older TF2002B, on a GII I
borrowed from a friend to check for LF performance. My results sound similar
to yours....I reckoned it would need between 20 and 40 dB of pre-amp at 136
to give the 100nV sensitivity I get on the AOR 7030. I did not bother with
73k at the time. If you have a very big aerial like Mal's I suppose you get
such a lot of signal (and noise!) that you couldn't use much more gain. For
us lesser mortals it is barely adequate. I was also quite taken aback by the
"chunder" that could be heard with no signal at 136k, this is probably the
PLL reference. It is something I do not hear on the 7030 (even at the 10nV
level) despite DDS LOs not being famed for their quietness.

Stick with it, we look forward to hearing another station from your region
(particularly on 73!!) Finbar is keeping the flag flying on 136k at the
moment. He is consistantly heard here on the East Coast (Nr Woodbridge,
Suffolk) at about 579 these days, and is now working into Germany.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]