LF: ic706

To: "rsgb rsgb" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: ic706
From: "gii3kev" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 18:20:21 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi All
Lots of info floating around about the 706 and different versions. I
have
a late mk1 model and it works fb and I use it as a generator source to
drive my 73/136 pa.
I use it on 7.3/13.6 mhz low power and divide by 100 for the appropriate
lf bands.
It is very stable on tx and works well also on RX 136 but I have a large
antenna. I did say earlier that on a small antenna it is not sensitive
enough. I compared it with other rigs like the ts50 for example on a
short antenna in the early days and it was not very good. When I put the
big antenna up then it was more than adequate with the pre amp on. The
ts50 was too sensitive on the big antenna and needed external
attenuation. I have other receivers available as mentioned in previous
messages and all are very good but it depends a lot on the antenna in
use as regards sensitivity.
What would suit one persons needs would not suit another.
Using the 706 with my present antenna, the rf gain has to be backed off
slightly to obtain max signal over noise but has more than adequate
sensitivity.
The antenna will determine what rx suits your needs best.
73 de Mal/G3KEV/SCARBOROUGH