Re: LF: RE: <TECH> RA1792

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RE: <TECH> RA1792
From: "Brian Rogerson" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 13:13:16 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Thank you to Alan, and to Andy and to Tracey and yes I would be interested in
the IEEE488 interface.  For those of you wondering, I was trying to cascade
the CW filter of my TS850 after the front end of the RA1792.  The intention
was do a narrow search and record as well as recording the full band, the
other
output of the aerial splitter was already occupied.  Q-Fiver with a BC
something
or other I think it was called, first saw it used in the QTH of Ken Alford,
G2DX.

Someone said that the RA1792 is easy to work on, it is, I do not think I have
ever seen another equipment as easy to access.  Yes the computer, module A6
is on the right and has a brand new RS battery.  I removed the module and
cleaned all the sliding contacts at the suggestion of the supplier and also
the pcb pads which sit on the pillars in the casting and since reassembling
there has been no more jumping but it is only five days and much too early
to rejoice.
When I found nothing coming out of J2 at 455 I thought the BNC must be there
for some reason and persisted and eventually identified DCF39 which confirmed
the 100KHz IF with the 2.2KHz BFO offset I was using.  I managed to "get" the
system working and in fact recorded Larry on Argo but at 30 sec dots because
I hadn't had time to calibrate the frequency.  The recording on SpecLab was
better and it is now on my web site after a bit of a  struggle with HTML.
I hope to have better luck with Argo tonight provided last night's propagation
wasn't a freak product of the CME and M class flares.

With thanks, Brian