Re: LF: Re: Receiver

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Receiver
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 08:42:15
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello Alberto and Alessandro,

The fact that a RX has a 'lazy' S-meter doesn't mean that it is a poor RX.
A correct S-meter is nice to give exact reports, but what really counts is
the sensitivity and good IM behaviour of a receiver.
I am using a Kenwood TS440 that is rather sensitive and has a good IM
behaviour, but in the original state the only signal that could move my
S-meter was DCF39.
But inside the TS440 if found a potmeter to adjust the S-meter range, so
now S9 is correct at 136kHz (and daytime noiselevel peaks S7 on  80m ...
but who cares).
Of course the receiver hasn't become any better by this, but now the
stronger ham stations can move the meter.

73, Rik  ON7YD