LF: Re: SAQ

To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: SAQ
From: Frank Gentges KØBRA <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 19:10:28 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
I had similar experience with the 0830/0845 Z transmission.

I set up out in an isolated field using a battery operated Wandel Goltermann AT463 selective voltmeter for a receiver set for high impedance input and a 30 foot length of wire.

I could clearly hear GBR at 16 kHz and occasional snippets of signal were heard at 18.3 kHz. The system seemed fine but the density of sferic crashes left no holes to hear SAQ through. Not even a shred of a snippet.

Since 0830 Z is 4:30 AM I was running out of energy and decided to hit the sack and decided not to get up to make the 30 minute drive for the 1230Z session. I doubt I would have done any better than earlier.

I will have to join Sandy and wait for next time. We sure appreciate the efforts by the Alexander club to keep SAQ on the air and make these transmissions. It is a real challenge for us and demonstrates how effective the receive end on Long Island had to be to make a reliable link. I understand the Long Island receive site had a very long wire which acted as a directive Beverage. This LF and VLF stuff they did back then (day in and day out) seems even more impressive when you try to do something like this. Our modern whiz bang technology does not give us much of an advantage here.

Frank K0BRA