Re: LF: Fw: Near field of 9kHz antenna

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Fw: Near field of 9kHz antenna
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 15:39:19
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello Dick,

Your simulation confirms the measurement of DF6NM, the near field signal
drops very fast (20dB for 1km -> 2km).
Can you simulate a magnetic (loop) antenna instead of a vertical ? I wonder
if that gives any different (better) result.

I used GRNDWAV3 (btw fine piece of work) to calculate the far-field signal
strength from 5km upward. When doubling the distance step by step the
result is a 6dB decrease each time, up to 640km. From there on the
attenuation increases significantly. But who worries for that at this moment.

So the main burden could be to get the signal 5km out, for there on you
'only' need to quadruple the ERP to double the distance.

One more thing : the VLF signal strength is most likely very stable at
distances below 1000km, so what stops us from using DFCW at dotlengths of
several minutes. Achieving 0.001Hz frequency stability of the TX and RX
should be 'peanuts' (just 1ppm) what allows us to take optimal advantage of
very long dotlengths.
Any station that can get it's signal copied at 5km distance using 3 sec/dot
should have a range of about 70km at 10 min/dot.

73, Rik  ON7YD