LF: Re: VK, ZL LF allocation

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: VK, ZL LF allocation
From: "Vernall" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 07:42:58 +1200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Jim M0BMU,

Thanks for the preliminary information on quieter parts of the 165 - 190 kHz
band.

Mike's request for info reminds me - A while ago, I tried listening
around 184.4 kHz, where the recent "transpac" tests occured, but
this frequency is full of very strong LF broadcast station
sidebands, as is most of 165kHz - 190kHz. But there was a gap in
the general din around 169 - 173kHz that might be worth trying for
VK/ZL to Europe LF tests one day - do others have a quiet spot
here too? Would it be any good for the VK/ZL stations?

ZL stations are permitted to transmit anywhere within 165 - 190 kHz, and
what counts most is using frequencies that have minimum QRM at DX receiving
stations.  Several slots are needed to cope with a number of ZL and VK
participating stations, some of them having good frequency control and
others that drift a few Hz.

The next scheduled "transpac" testing is 22 September.  If EU stations can
agree on what the quietest slots are in the 169 - 173 kHz region are, then
they can be checked for reception in the greater Pacific area as well, and
appropriate new frequencies selected.  I have been co-ordinating the test
schedule and will use feedback from EU receiving checks to discuss with ZL
and VK participants for picking optimum test frequencies for next time.

73, Bob