LF: Alan infected ??

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Alan infected ??
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 20:42:12 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi All, Brian CT1DRP reported a strange file with no subject but using a
title I had previously used on a message to Brian as a filename, and
appending the extensions .xls.bat. This was one of a batch of 4 messages
sent sent on 30/7/01 at about 2200bst. I had had a strange email message in
that session and opened it by mistake, but deleted it immediately without
activating the attachment. I have run my virus checker with an updated data
file, and show no contamination. I have mailed myself and the message
arrived clean.  No-one else has reported a problem..... so far. I will not
send anyone mail with attachments except Rik ON4YD, and if needed I will
check with the recipiant first. Double extensions on the attached file a a
clear subject field seem to the the useful indicators as they were for
several other worms.

For Rik, the format and size of the messages is well known, and I think his
firewall will trap most things.

I hope I have not caused any of you problems.
Please advise immediately if it looks as though I have missed something
Tel 01473-623713

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]