LF: Re: Advice to beginners

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Advice to beginners
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 06:31:52 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
From Dave G3YMC

Comments on remarks by Mike G3XDV and others:

Be realistic: If you have a 40m dipole, 8m above ground and strapped as a
Marconi, over poor soil, you are wasting your time with 5W. Good results will
can be had with several hundred watts - easily and cheaply obtainable with a
BK Electronics amp.

It is simply not true that several hundred watts are needed to have useful
results on
the band.  With my 35W and a loop in an impossible QTH I enjoy plenty of
enjoyable
contacts, and four countries and a best DX of 470km scarcely indicates I have
been
wasting my time.  OK it is not easy - I shall shortly be experimenting with an
antenna not dissimilar to what Mike describes and hope it furthers my
possiblilities.

Also (those who have been on this reflector for years will remember my old
sermon) it is vital to optimise the receiver as you won't work anyone you can't
hear.

I totally agree.  Time and time again I am listening to a QSO and copy both
sides
perfectly Q5, but the two participiants seem to have great difficulty copying
each
others.  OK differences in location and selective propogation may be the
reason, but
it happens too often, and usually it is obvious they have an inadequate
receiver.
There are still some of the active operators who have yet to get this message.

This appears to be a similar effect to that seen on HB9ASB's signals when he
was regularly active on Sunday mornings a year or two ago.

Toni remains one of the most active stations on Sunday mornings - perhaps he
has gone
by the time most people surface.  But I often experience this selective
propogation
and QSB at different times from others.

73s Dave G3YMC
[email protected]