Re: LF: Loops and steep skywaves

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Loops and steep skywaves
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:50:14
Sender: <[email protected]>
At 14:03 18/06/01 +0100, G3XDV wrote:
I remember hearing slow QSB on the transmissions of G2AJV (when I was in GW) and GW4ALG, both at about 300km. They both used loops and I have not heard QSB at less than 450km with Marconi antennas.

I can confirm that Roger, G2AJV,  had a lot of QSB while othere G's at
about the same distance (but using verticals) had no QSB.
But there is one thing that I never really understood :
Even if a (transmitting) loop produces a lot of 'steep angle' radiation a
vertical antenna (for receiving) should be rather insensitive for the
incoming 'steep angle' signal. One would expect to notice the QSB only with
both TX and RX side are using loops.
But I could notice the QSB with a vertical as RX antenna.
If the reciprocal principle works then any antenna that can receive 'steep
angle' transmission should also transmit at these angles.

73, Rik  ON7YD