Re: LF: 73kHz beacon/antenna problems

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 73kHz beacon/antenna problems
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 12:21:12 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Jim, M0BMU wrote:

> After lots of >experimentation I ended up with only 75% of the original amount of >wire I had in the air, but with about twice the original ERP for the same >TX power.
How do you know this Jim? By far field measurements? Surely there can be
no computer programme clever enough to take into account all the factors
you mention like leaves on trees, building proximity etc.

73, Tom G3OLB

Dear Tom, LF Group,

I wish there was a computer program that could do the job .... but I had to compare the antennas using actual field strength measurements. This involved a lot of driving around and setting up the measuring gear in odd places, mostly late at night, and got some very strange looks. Once, I was apprehended by a squad of security guards, who were convinced I was trying to eavesdrop on their radio communications for some dubious purpose - it took quite a lot of explaining away :-)

The 71.924 kHz beacon ran OK last night from 0005 until 0310utc  -
I will give it a rest tonight, and try again tomorrow.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU