LF: Statics?

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Statics?
From: "DE BONDT WERNER" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 21:25:27 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello All

I think we are all very lucky,we did not met the real thing .
Static must not be a problem for a radio ham, here we talk abt little current and some kilovolts.
But a strike ,direct on your antenna is something different.
If the antenna is grounded with a good ground.Avery rig that is in use ore even just plugged in, is damaged.
And if the antenna is not grounded,and the wire go to the shack,It will blow out the wall of your shack.
You just show the lightening the way ,even with a thin wire.
If we take the resistens of a wet wall, abt 1Meg, and a direct stroke some are 100 kilo-Amp with an nearly
unlimited voltage . I will not be the resistor.
But a 10mm copper bar can hold the 100 kilo-Amp fore a few ms.
I have a friend working on radio equipment of a ship.He sow the radio-room partly painted with solid copper
from the variometer, because the haveduty switch to bypass the variometer was open .
I have a tic wire from my vertical, and when I see thunder clouds I bring it to the base of the mast.away from the shack.

 Lets hope it never com in
 MNI  73 ON6ND Werner