Re: LF: Off-topic: For non-UK readers

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Off-topic: For non-UK readers
From: "John Currie" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 04:21:58 -0700
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Mike,  I  guess Churchill was right we really are separated by a common
language.  But in this case all is well . On this side of Atlantic  " on a
shoestring "  also means without enough money.
   73 de John VE1ZJ

Mike Dennison wrote:

With apologies to UK readers, I am using this forum to survey non-UK
amateurs about the term "on a shoestring" which the RSGB may be using in
the title of a future project. I would like to know whether its UK meaning "for
very little money" is widely understood around the world, especially in the US
and Australia.

This may sound an obvious question but I am well aware that an American
puts his pants on over his shorts, but a Brit does the opposite (was this
Superman's problem?) and an Australian would use Durex to make sure
nothing leaked out of a parcel whilst a Brit would use it for a quite different
purpose.

Thanks in advance for any help on this one.

[official signature for a change]

Mike Dennison, G3XDV
Publications Manager

* RadCom * GB2RS News *
* RSGB Books and CDs *
* RSGB Online Web Site *

Radio Society of Great Britain
Lambda House, Cranborne Road
Potters Bar, Herts UK, EN6 3JE
Tel: +44 (0) 1707 659015; Fax: +44 (0) 1707 645105
www.rsgb.org
RSGB - UK AMATEUR RADIO