Re: LF: [Lf] Antenna

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: [Lf] Antenna
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 09:56:10 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
>From N8BKR

 The top hat consists of eight 20 foot 1.25
inch diameter aluminum tubing mounted on two plywood disks.  I have tested this
antenna an it works very well.   This antenna cost me about $1000.00 to build

That's very expensive plywood!

Seriously, this type of antenna would be very efficient for its physical size as the coil is high up and the capacity hat is very low loss. However, being small, the ground losses will be high, so it is unlikely to outperform anything that has a higher radiation resistance, such as a T or L with 40m or more of top wires.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.lf.thersgb.net