Re: SV: LF: SV: Re. T/A tests.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: SV: LF: SV: Re. T/A tests.
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:33:36
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello group,

I am not sure that propagation on 137kHz is much correlated to 1.8 or 3.5MHz.
On those bands (160m and 80m) DX propagation is mainly via reflection at
the F2 layer and the signals are attenuated by the D (and eventually E)
layer. During solar minimum the ionisation of the D and E layer is very
weak while the F2 layer ionisation remains strong enough for these low
frequencies.
When I understand some articles about propagation on LF well, DX
propagation is via E layer reflection (in some seldom cases even D-layer
reflection). This would explain that QSO's up to 2000km (1 hop e-layer
reflection) are made with rather low ERP (few 10mW) while transatlantic
propagation (2 hops or more) require at least a few 100mW.
Question is : will the E layer ionisation be strong enough at soloar minimum ?
The answer will be known in a few years ...

73, Rik  ON7YD