LF: <Tech> Variable PSK - experimental cct + some results

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: <Tech> Variable PSK - experimental cct + some results
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 14:35:08 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

There seems to be some potential for BPSK modulation methods on LF, but the big difficulty is generating a TX signal with acceptable sidebands - many people find the high-power amplitude modulator, or linear transverter/PA required rather daunting. It has been suggested that similar reduction in sidebands could be acheived by having "soft" phase transitions with constant signal amplitude, rather than the abrupt phase keying and envelope shaping of normal BPSK. This would eliminate the high power modulator, while allowing use of high efficiency, non-linear amplifiers, such as class D types.

In order to test this idea, I have breadboarded a variable phase modulator, together with waveform-shaping circuits. The circuit implements 2 approaches - ON7YD's linear phase transition idea, and G4JNT's raised-cosine phase transitions.

The phase modulator is essentially a voltage controlled pulse width modulator running at 136kHz. The leading edge of the PWM output pulse is delayed relative to the 136kHz clock signal by an amount proportional to the input voltage. This leading edge is then used to trigger a monostable, which generates a constant duty cycle, approximately square wave, output whose phase lag relative to the input signal is linearly dependant on the input voltage. The phase modulation range is up to about 270 degrees; by clamping the input signal level, a 180 degree shift is obtained.

Rik's linear phase transitions are generated by feeding the incoming data waveform into a "bounded integrator" circuit; the integrator charging current and capacitor control the duration of the phase transition, the bounds on the integrator output voltage control the phase excursion. The resulting trapezoidal waveform is fed to the phase modulator. I found experimentally that a fair aproximation to Andy's raised-cosine waveform could be produced by feeding the trapezoidal signal through a 3rd order Bessel low pass filter, and playing around with the time constants.

I looked at the resulting spectra by feeding the low level phase modulator output to a RX with 1 kHz bandwidth, and examining the audio output using DL4YHF's Spectrum Lab analyser software. I tried linear transitions ranging in duration from 5ms, up to 100ms, ie. the entire bit period. Transitions that were a small fraction of the bit period did not offer significant improvement over the "raw" BPSK, with sidebands extending to several hundred Hz. However, with transitions of 50ms or 100ms, the bandwidth of the signal was considerably reduced, with no significant sidebands beyond about +/- 100Hz, which is about the same as a 12wpm CW signal. The spectra had "spikes" at 10Hz intervals, presumably due to the abrupt changes of gradient in the phase modulation.

As you might expect, adding the low-pass filter to produce the more rounded raised-cosine transitions largely got rid of the 10Hz spikes, and gave very clean spectra. I tried 50ms and 100ms transitions; bandwidths were about 80Hz and 40Hz respectively. The 100ms transitions gave a spectrum of very similar bandwidth to my Decca TX BPSK signal; the main difference was that it was more "peaked", presumably because there is some carrier present.

I have a .jpg file of the various spectra I obtained, plus 12wpm CW and "conventional" BPSK for comparison; it is 107kB so a bit big for the reflector, but available direct on request. The circuit isn't really much more than a lash-up at the moment, but I will get some details together if anyone is interested. So having gradual phase transitions of 0.5 -1 times the bit period certainly seems to produce acceptable transmit signals - the next experiment is to see how compatible these "Variable PSK" signals are with the existing BPSK demodulators that are available, such as "Wolf" and "Coherent".

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU