LF: WOLF - a question

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: WOLF - a question
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:58:54 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
One of the several variables that I need to get right is the audio level. I understand I need to get this within a few dB of -20db or so relative to the overload point of my sound card.
The question is how do I find that point?

On my old computer, I had 'meters' associated with the volume controls comprising a bar graph which was green up to a point when it became red. At least this showed what may be the overload point. My present computer does not have these graphs.

I make the recordings using Cool Edit, and although this has a dB scale, it is difficult to determine what this is relative to.

Is there an easy way to set the audio level to optimum? Some software perhaps?

Another related question. The last few recordings I made of Valerio, had very strong QRN and intermittent local electrical noise peaks, several tens of dB above his signal. Should I ignore these when setting the level?

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.lf.thersgb.net