LF: Re: WOLF - a question

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: WOLF - a question
From: "Alberto di Bene" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:55:30 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Mike Dennison wrote:

One of the several variables that I need to get right is the audio level. I
understand I need to get this within a few dB of -20db or so relative to the
overload point of my sound card.

The question is how do I find that point?
[snip]
Is there an easy way to set the audio level to optimum? Some software
perhaps?

Mike,
          you need a software that measure the level averaged on the 20 Hz or so
tha a Wolf signal occupies. The latest build of Argo can measure levels referred
to the saturation point of the ADC, but just in a single FFT bin, which, in
full band
view, is only about 2.7 Hz, so much less than needed.
You could use the 'log to file' new feature of Argo to record the magnitudes of
a few seconds of signal, and then write your own software for post-processing
it,
to compute the average on the 20 Hz of band. Perhaps you could just use Excel,
without the need to write a real program.

73  Alberto  I2PHD