LF: RE: Manual and active antennas at LF.

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: Manual and active antennas at LF.
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:32:03 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
I think you have later versions of the 1792.  My one only tunes in 10Hz
steps and I know others mentioned on this reflector have 1Hz tuning.
Wonder if the later version is specified down to a lower frequency.

Incidently, returning to an earlier topic, the current Naval standard HF
receiving antenna on board ships is an active whip, made from a 2m
length of 50mm diameter Al pole.   The amp is made from three E88CC
valves in parallel, operating in a cascode / common collector circuit.
A company somewhere is working on a solid state replacement based around
power FETs, but don't know the progress on that.   The amp is specified
as having a 50dBm third order intercept point and by my reckoning could
function as a power amp delivering over 10W.   That's linear !!!
Frequency response is 10kHz to 60MHz.
Ships do have the advantage of a near perfect groundplane so presumably
they can get away with this sort of antenna to lower freqs than normal.

Andy  'JNT

C1,4,11 are all marked as 1 not 0u1 on both the cd and the components
list. The only difference is that 1 is a polyester 100v whereas 4 and 11 are ceramics 50v. Unfortunately nowhere on the five sheets sent to me by the vendor is there an issue or date reference. Still, with the components
I had to hand, it now works, if out of spec.

Thanks to all who took the trouble to send information, it is much
appreciated.

73, Brian
> >is private and is intended solely for the intended recipient(s).
>For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution, >or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information is
>prohibited and may be unlawful.

73 Brian     CT1DRP     IN51QD     41 09 58N  08 39 11W
http://homepage.esoterica.pt/~brian