LF: RE: Re: WOLF - am I missing something ?

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: Re: WOLF - am I missing something ?
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 14:20:40 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
PowerBasic (the language I use) does incorporate a "microtimer"
instruction for measuring time to 1us so something has always been
available in the underlying hardware in the PC,   via the same timer
chip that generates sounds from the PC speaker.
However, it becomes inaccurate for intervals > 55ms as the timing
function get messed up by the DOS Heartbeat interrupt at 18.2Hz.  Also
(at least in PBasic) it cannot be used to set a delay, only for
measuring an interval.    Back in the Dark Ages, I used  a FOR / NEXT
loop with a fixed count, accurately timed this using the microtimer,
then generated a calibration factor for subsequently using in the loop
to generate software timings.   Once again this was upset every 55ms,
but did work satisfactorily with a Pico Products 8 bit A/D on the
printer port for first forays into DSP.  Then I abandonned software
timing by using an external interface (a PIC) on the serial port and
ended up with something very similar to the VE2IQ I/F.

Andy  G4JNT