LF: RE PICs and DDS etc.

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE PICs and DDS etc.
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 16:07:36 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
NO Think again, the high order bit of a DDS output is very definitely
not a squared up version of the fundamental !  Used on its own it would
have a spectrum not totally unlike noise.

Before the DDS output anti-allias filter, for a given output frequency
all terms of   Fclock +/- Fout are present, as sampled sinewaves with a
SIN(X) / X amplitude roll-off.   Also present is what effectively is
quantising noise (Nq) .   The level of this  Nq is given approximately
by  6.N dBc, so for a 12 Bit D/A in the DDS (as in the AD9850),   Nq can
only be 72 dB down at most.   In fact the manufacturers clain about
65dBc to play safe.   Just using the MSB gives 1 bit quantisation so
spurious products will be at 0 - 6dBc.    To generate a square wave, you
have to generate a proper sinewaveform, low pass filter and feed back
into a high speed comparator.  The AD9850 has such a comparator built in
and all you have to supply is a Clock, command word and output filter.

I once looked at using a PIC plus external D/A for a low speed DDS, and
for audio freqs it could be done, but again with spurious limitiations.
Assuming 8 bit arithmetic - any more would slow it down considerably and
you do need a sine look up table with this resolution as well - the
output could only manage around -40dB spurious and determining timing
would be a horrendous programming job.  A 32 bit accumulator with the
attendant maths all within a critical timing loop.

For MFSK, why not just use a DDS chip / module and send it commands to
set the frequency.   Some of the the now obsolete DDS chips such as
AD9831 and AD9832 can cost not much more than a PIC .

Andy  G4JNT