TECH: Re^2: LF: WOLF - am I missing something ?

To: [email protected]
Subject: TECH: Re^2: LF: WOLF - am I missing something ?
From: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 12:26:10 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi  Andy,  Rik, and others,

A kind of "microtimer" is still there, no matter if you write your programs
in Delphi, C++Builder or any of Microstuff's Visual something.
The routine is called "QueryPerformanceCounter", it returns a 32 bit integer
value of a 'hardware timer' which ticks with a certain frequency ("ticks per
second"). The frequency of this timer can be detected by calling
"QueryPerformanceFrequency", it returns a value 1193180 which may sound
familiar to many DOS freaks. In fact, this timer seems to be clocked by the
1.193 MHz counter which was already present in the very first IBM PC.

Apart from that, I totally agree with your comments about DOS vs Windows.
Most of the REAL goodies are not acessable, or only with extreme 'red tape'
(thinking about soundards, interrupts, I/O-ports  - sigh !)

73, Wolf DL4YHF.