Re: LF: RE: WOLF (BPSK) modulation continuous phase modulation.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RE: WOLF (BPSK) modulation continuous phase modulation.
From: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 11:32:24 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
In a message dated 3/26/01 12:06:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

<< But unfortunately, any clipping or AGC will distort the amplitude envelope, which in turn will re-introduce unwanted sidebands. >>

This may be a matter of semantics, but clipping won't actually "re-introduce" sidebands. While AGC would indeed distort the amplitude envelope and worsen sidebands, hard RF clipping eliminates envelope variations entirely. The consequence of clipping is that we no longer have the envelope to help us further suppress the phase-modulation sidebands. The sidebands themselves remain just as they would for any continuous-shift PSK signal--less energetic than for brute-force instantaneous PSK, but broader than if we retained the amplitude variations that accompany appropriate filtering.

The ideal case would be to generate a waveform based on root-raised-cosine filtering in the exciter, use envelope-elimination-and-recovery to amplify the signal at maximum efficiency, and use a corresponding filter at the receive end.

However, I believe the object of Rik's proposal was to decrease bandwidth while retaining as much simplicity in the system as possible. If one can abide the slower phase transitions of the filtered signal, and the modest increase in bandwidth from not having dragged out the transitions even further, the technique should work at moderate power levels. It's a collection of trade-offs, as is anything in engineering.

73,
John