LF: Re: Dumbing down

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Dumbing down
From: "g3ldo" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 11:01:32 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>

Andy said:

What we call "Dumbing Down" in the UK (and the US ?).   It happens a lot
with science programmes on television, and a lot more with science
education in schools and universites   :-(    :-((

> If you noticed, terms like 'sampling rate',  'FFT size', etc.
> are totally absent from
> Argo, which uses a terminology, like sec/dot, taken from the
> intended usage of
> the program, and not from its implementation technicalities.

The implied criticism of Alberto's work is inappropriate. To say that use of
these techniques should not be pursued unless you fully understand what
'sampling rate' 'FFT size' etc is like saying you should not be playing with
RF circuits and antennas unless you have a full grasp of electromagnetic
theory and Maxwell's equations.

To me this amateur radio stuff is a hobby. While I appreciate the value of
the work done by the technically advanced members of the group I also
appreciate the value of the work done by those who have made such techniques
accessible to those like myself.

Keep up the good work Alberto.

Regards,
Peter, G3LDO