LF: EHT transformer cores

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: EHT transformer cores
From: "Claudio Girardi" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 08:21:30 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Jim and all the LF group,
I've actually used some core of TV EHT transformer for
the output transformer of amplifiers in the 300-500W range
and they performed weel indeed; one of these had the two halves
glued together so there was no way to modify the gap, while in the others I removed only one of the thin plastic spacers. I didn't try removing both since the inductance I obtained was enough 8-).
One of the cores was marked with a code like 3C...something
that resembled a ferrite grade code, but I don't remember exactly all the numbers.
Anyway, as Andy said, there is no substitute for trying...

73 and GL de

                           Claudio, IN3OTD

--
http://www.qsl.net/in3otd

The ferrite cores used in TV EHT line output transformers use similar materials to the SMPSU transformers - they operate at a lower frequency, so some might be more lossy, you will just have to try. The type with a metal clip are handy to wind cables round for RFI supression, but they are a slightly awkward shape for making a transformer with. Make sure you remove any thin plastic film spacers from the joining surfaces before using; the 'air gap' is good for an energy storage inductor, but not a transformer.