Re: LF: S-meter standard

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: S-meter standard
From: "Stewart Bryant" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 12:34:03 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

Stewart Bryant wrote:
>Why do the manufacturers still bother with S units. Why don't receivers
just
>measure dBuV or dBm at the antenna?

This may be fine for technical specs etc but most of us would far rather
send 599 in a qso than 'your are 1.34dBuV'.  The s meter scale is an
admirable shorthand and should be maintained.

73s Dave
[email protected]
[email protected]
http://www.btinternet.com/~dsergeant

I though that this was a technical hobby! Didn't we sort of get used to the
idea that power was recorded in dBW?

I suspect the main problem would be that the manufacturers would loose
plausible deniability with regard to receiver spec tollerances.

73

Stewart G3YSX