LF: RE: QSO Time

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: QSO Time
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 16:10:31 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
4 hours is not at all an unreasonable period for a valid QSO, especially
when we are using a bandwidth of  2 minutes ^ -1

I once took 45 minutes to complete a QSO on 10GHz using CW repeated
continuously both ways.    If QSO time is considered to be proportional
to carrier frequency, that equates to 10368 / 0.137 * 45 / 60/24/365.25
= 6.47 years at LF

Alternatively, comparing bandwidths (assume an effective 400Hz aural
bandwidth for the scattered microwave signal), it equates to 45 * 400Hz
/ 0.008Hz / 60 / 24 / 365.25 = 4.3 years.

So 24 hours at 0.008Hz bandwidth on 137kHz calculates back up to around
2.3 seconds in a 300Hz CW bandwidth.  Who can manage a complete report
exchange on CW in that time ?

It is Friday afternoon again   :-<>

'JNT