LF: Interference from fluorescent tube

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Interference from fluorescent tube
From: "Dick Rollema" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 12:41:53 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
To All from PA0SE

In my report on signals received over the weekend 27/28 January I mentioned that reception was hampered by noise from a local electric appliance.
Last weekend the noise was there again and I decided to investigate.
Using my portable field strengh meter as a receiver I found the culprit to be a fluorescent tube mounted over the dresser in our kitchen. The noise is already present with the tube switched off and increases upon switching on.
When I remove the tube the noise disappears.
Cleaning the tube on its outside to remove grease and dirt did not help.

As the tube performs normally as a source of light (and being a Dutchman) I don't replace it. Instead I pull its plug when I want to operate.
The tube has been in use for several years already but the noise only recently started.

73, Dick, PA0SE