RE: LF: ARRL News Story, an objection

To: "'Larry Kayser'" <[email protected]>, [email protected], ": \"Andre' Kesteloot\"" <[email protected]>, "\"Mike Dennison\"" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: ARRL News Story, an objection
From: "Lindquist, Rick, N1RL" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 10:13:38 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi, Larry and others

Since *our* "ox is being gored" (please note the spelling of the word--it's
"gored"; I'll assume that you typoed it, just as I did in one instance of
two of your call sign in our Web story), I feel a few words from our corner
are in order.

The information about the AMRAD beacon's being heard by G4CNN was attributed
to John Sexton, G4CNN. The ARRL did not make up this information, nor did we
have any particular stake in it. Lacking immediate capability to verify his
reception to a certainty, we simply recounted his report and attributed it
to him, as we've done in many similar instances in the past. We now have new
information that G4CNN was mistaken. We will revise our account to include
the fact that the earlier information unfortunately turned out to be in
error--an honest mistake, as it were.

Are there any other "facts" that you would like to dispute? Please get in
touch. Also, feel free to share any of the "number of emails highly critical
of the League" that you have received.
Mike, Andre shared an e-mail that mentioned some inaccuracies, and I also
did not catch the typo from an e-mail I received (VE1ZZ instead of VE1ZJ).
We've fixed that one too. Our apologies for the inadvertent call sign
errors.

The quality of our reporting is only as good as the information we get, an
occasional inadvertent error or misunderstanding nothwithstanding, of
course. We'd like to be as accurate as possible.
Oh, and the word is "whose" (as in "whose ox"), not "who's". Another typo, I
guess. Well, we humans all make mistakes now and then, don't we?

Assuming we're all on the same side here, I hope we can report future LF
achievements, and if errors creep into our reporting, understand that they
are unintentional; please let me know directly, and we'll be happy to fix
them.

73, Rick N1RL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rick Lindquist, N1RL
Senior News Editor
ARRL--The National Association for Amateur Radio
860-594-0222
[email protected]
See Late-Breaking Amateur Radio News at http://www.arrl.org/
Read Amateur Radio News in The ARRL Letter at
http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter
Hear Amateur Radio News on ARRL Audio News at
http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter/audio/
(or call 860-594-0384)