LF: Very large adaptive rx array

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Very large adaptive rx array
From: [email protected]
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 21:16:15 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi group,

is there more you can do with that CW carrier-component than simply detect the presence of a signal without being able to decode it? Well, we could use it to guide a large adaptive array to regain the data rate:

- 100 receivers in different locations across Europe record audio files of a highly desired DX-station transmitting 3 s qrss, buried -10 dB in the noise,

- offline, we extract the frequency offset and phase of the DX carrier components in each file using low bandwidth (e.g. 3 mHz). We also estimate their signal-to-noise ratios;

- using this information as a phase reference, we convert each file to baseband (like in a synchronous AM-detector),

- then add up the baseband data from all files, weighted by their SNR. Using the carriers as pilots, we effectively have focused our large sparse array on a small area around the transmitter, gaining some 20 dB in signal to noise ratio,

- and we finally extract the information at full data rate in its original 0.3 Hz bandwidth, saving a factor of 100 in time and transmitted energy.

Just a thought after a glass of wine, or maybe good for something?

73s de Markus, DF6NM