LF: It's L at the top

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: It's L at the top
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 10:03:17 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
On Sunday I increased the inductance at the top of my mast. I replaced 3mH of Litz wire with 7mH of ordinary wire. This made the antenna almost self-resonant. In fact, I needed a 6800pF capacitor (very heavy duty oil-filled, from the Puckeridge Decca site) in series with my 0.5mH variometer to tune it.

As expected, the current dropped - from 2.7A to 2.2A - as the point of maximum current went higher up the mast. There have been no measurements yet, but initial results seem good. I received the best ever reports from GW (599), GM (589) and SM (579), and worked DJ9IE (559) who had never replied to my calls before.

An all-night transmission using 30s dots on 135.9235kHz did not seem to cause any trouble, so all seems stable.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.lf.thersgb.net