LF: Where next?

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Where next?
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 16:37:16 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

..................... One such candidate could be the Steve Onley's FDK.  I
know that, theoretically, PSK can have an advantage over non-coherent
FSK, but this doesn't take into account phase distortion over very
long paths.  But I will leave to others to discuss about the pros and
cons of the two methods.
73  Alberto   I2PHD

A factor that is often ignored when comparing PSK08 (for instance) and QRSS is the difference between relying on a machine to interpret the results and using the brain. The spectrogram-type programs do wonderful work but the final 10dB or so is down to the brain deciding what is a valid signal and what is not, then deciding whether it makes sense or not.

We really would have a winner if we can combine the obvious theoretical advantages of using FM (or phase mod) rather than AM, especially when noise is a significant limiting factor, with the advantages of a display that allows the brain to add some dBs by intelligently interpreting the result. For instance, how about produce a display that is the result of subtracting the signals and noise in a given audio band, with the signals and noise in another band of the same bandwidth. This might provide a means of reducing the effect of wideband noise such as static (but not random noise) on a conventional mono-frequency transmission by subtracting the noise in the 'no-signal' band from the band containing the signal. It might also provide a 'comparitor' effect so that FSK signals can be better detected - for a given time period, if the output of 'channel A' is bigger than the output of 'channel B' then it is a binary '1'; if the other way round it is a binary '0'.The important thing is to resist the temptation to feed this into a machine that tries its best to work out whether it is a valid character or not - this is the bit that the brain does better.

Mike