Re: LF: 73 KHz?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 73 KHz?
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 09:32:47 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
W4DEX wrote:
Is anyone operating 73 KHz regularly?  Is there any slight chance that
a ham transmission on this frequency can be heard across the pond?  If
the signal I am seeing on 77.5 KHz is DCF77 it is Q5 during the day
and very strong at night here in North Carolina.  How can I identify
DCF77?

Four or five UK stations can go on 73kHz from home at short notice -
and if necessary could easily combine their skills and experience into an expedition.

It is much more difficult to achieve the 1W ERP on 73kHz, though possible with a big enough antenna. Best DX so far is G-OH at about 1800km with 3s dot QRSS (I believe that normal CW has been heard at this distance, too). We have the 73kHz band for only another couple of years, so we need to move fairly quickly if a transatlantic QSO is to be achieved. The most useful beacon is HBG on 75.000kHz. This is a time signal that runs a continuous carrier, with a short gap once a second.

From your point of view, you will need to be aware that man-made
noise is much more of a problem at this frequency.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.lf.thersgb.net