Re: LF: Splitting the reflector.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Splitting the reflector.
From: "Steve Rawlings" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:03:03 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Talbot Andrew wrote:

I think it rather sad and a sorry state of affairs for amateur radio
that there are people out there who may not be interested in the
technical side and presumably just want to be appliance operators.
Although I would not want to watch computer screens for hour
after hour either, I think that it is wrong to refer to the
QRSS/data mode fraternity as appliance operators.  Even though
most of the functions end up being under computer control, quite
a bit of technical know-how is required to download the software;
connect the boxes together; and then figure out if a message has
been sent, and, if so, what it means; and who sent it.
How about, instead, the word OPER in the subject so we don't have to
bother with the who-heard-who messages.
I too have been puzzled why QRSSers often refer to morse
characters as being 'heard' when they are in fact 'seen' on a
computer screen.  But I do agree that we're all getting a bit fed
up with the dozens of such  'who-heard-who' messages relating to
transatlantic QRSS signals - especially when so little
communication is being achieved.

I thought we were all supposed to be experimenters by virtue of the amateur licence
I agree.  Let us return to the virtue of 'self-training in radio
communication' - with particular emphasis on _communication_.

Oh yes (I almost forgot), if anyone is maintaining a tally chart: I would prefer that this group of LF enthusiasts did not split. (It's so much fun the way it is.) Regards to all,
Steve GW4ALG