LF: Bonfires

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Bonfires
From: "Holger 'Geri' Kinzel, DK8KW" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 10:35:42 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Jim, M0BMU wrote:

I would certainly be interested to hear of a material for making loading coil shelters which is at the same time fireproof, a good dielectric, and easily worked.<

... question from my side: why build any shelters for loading coils at all?
I have wound my 3.4 mH loading coild using normal 1.5 square mm litz wire
from the hardware store on a core made of a combination of plastics and
some hard wood rods as a carrier. I have put this coil about 1/3 of my
vertical antenna height up without any protection. Result: no problem with
rain/snow or whatever (however: running only 350 Watts output ...) and
quite some improvement in receiving and transmitting signal strength plus
much less voltage on the remaining fine-tuning 0.9 mH variometer in my
shack and less trouble with my two cats passing by the coil insde the shack
(see picture at http://www.qru.de/station.htm, about half way down the
page).
Best 73

Geri, DK8KW (W1KW)