Re: LF: Bonfires (and wet wood)

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Bonfires (and wet wood)
From: "Rye Gewalt" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 05:41:18 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
I seem to recall that the old timers (I'm one myself
now) used to boil dry
wood in paraffin to make insulators for open wire
feeders.  I think this
makes sense.   But, of course, if it did catch fire I
would burn really
well.   Just a thought....

As a sail boat owner, I know how easily water can get
under varnish and never leave -- while the wood discolors and rots. If
one were to varnish
wood that's going to be exposed to the outdoors, a
marine varnish might
make good sense as it has ultraviolet inhibitors to
keep the sun from eating it up. I use a marine varnish called Sikkens
(?) from Europe
that really stands up to the weather.

Rye Gewalt K9LCJ
Springfield, Virginia

James Moritz wrote:

Dear Dave, LF Group,

Sorry to hear about G3YXM's slight overheating problem. This type
of thing is certainly a hazard with LF - I expect most people have
their tales to tell. It is one reason why I don't leave my station
running in beacon mode while I sleep; it is also a good reason for
having the loading coil located away from the house.

I have found that the biggest problem comes from damp timber. If in
a high voltage field, the losses are rather high, so it gets hot. Little
white arcs form on the surface of the wood, and wander around in
a fascinating way, leaving charred trails, and setting fire to things.
It is very impressive at night. Paradoxically, dry wood seems to be
much less prone to this. During the summer, I made a shelter for
my loading coil from 47 x 47 mm preservative treated timber
covered with plastic sheet. This doubled the loss resistance of the
antenna, and it was obvious that the wood had a high moisture
content. Replacing the original wood with thinner, kiln-dried stuff
solved the loss problem. Then the plastic sheet developed a leak,
one piece of timber got wet, and the result was a minor fire - luckily
I caught it early. The rebuilt shelter uses heavier polythene
sheeting which is more carefully sealed, and has stood up well to
the wind and rain of the last few months (fingers crossed!). The
high voltage antenna connection passes via a ceramic feed-
through mounted in the middle of a rigid plastic sheet which forms
the roof. The feed-through by itself did not have adequate
insulation. I have also installed a cheap 1kW fan heater, so the
whole lot can be dried out from time to time. I think thoroughly
varnishing the wood woud help a lot, but this is a job for next
summer.

I would certainly be interested to hear of a material for making
dielectric, and easily worked.

Hope you are back on air soon, Dave,

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU