Re: LF: re Rugby site

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: re Rugby site
From: "M.J.Powell" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:30:09 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
In message <002301c07c2c$b7247940$fb9601d5@default>, Alan Melia
<[email protected]> writes
Hi All, the 2 inch 'water-pipe' coil that Andy refers to would have been
installed in the mid 1960s when the transmission was 'phase stabilised' (at
least thats what the guys who were responsible for it at PO Dollis Hill
called it) I have never seen that bit. The TX has also been updated at least
once since those days. I suppose that must have been the time it moved to
data transmission rather than morse.

I think you may find that the poles and wires across the road are what, I
believe, is known as a T/R cell......but just perhaps I shouldn't know about
things like that!

The only T/R Cell I know of was/is used in radar for connecting the Tx
and Rx to the same aerial. Is that what you mean?
AFAIK Subs don't send on VLF.

I didn't know about the Caernarfon site, Mike but I agree with you,
technical artifacts of this vintage are easily lost. They are not yet old
enough to be historical to most people. I suggest you drop a message to the
Welsh Heritage Secretary....I would think in the present climate you might
get a sympathetic hearing. 1938 closure might not be as silly as it sounds,
it may have been regarded as too vulnerable to a naval (submarine)
artilliary attack. The RAF Experimental Wing was moved from my next door
airfield to Boscombe Down, in about the same year.

Good Idea. Although the last time I complained about the poor state of a
national heritage they promptly closed it! (Stonehenge)

I did most of my NS at Boscombe down!

73

Mike
--