LF: QRSSSS on 137.7894

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: QRSSSS on 137.7894
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 14:08:13 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

I monitored VA3LK's signal again last night; conditions were slightly better than last night, and signals were visible several times between 2230 and 0800. The attached file cq.jpg is edited together from 4 successive screen shots between about 0030 and 0210, and shows (C)Q DE VA(3) pretty clearly - I got fed up of editing after this, but it gives the general idea. I think this eliminates any doubt that it is the real signal. I re-checked the frequency using the Loran lines as calibration markers - it is very close to 137.7894kHz as before.

On the basis of the limited experience available, the propagation fades in and out quite quickly and deeply. Often the duration of a propagation peak is only long enough for a few dots & dashes, and 1 - 2 hours seems to be an upper limit for a good signal so far. Periods last night when the signal was clearly visible were 2230- 2300, 2345 (1 dash), 0030-0220, 0430-0530, 0615-0730. These times are just estimated off the screen. After 0650, several chunks of trace were blanked out by a local QRSS signal on an adjacent frequency. I think this shows that propagation comes and goes while both ends of the path are in darkness. Weak traces of signal were visible at other times as well; the difference between 'clearly visible signal' and 'weak trace' is probably about 10-15dB.

I have a continuous record of screen shots at 1/2 hour intervals for last night; I could edit them all together , but the resulting file would be too big for the reflector; if anyone has a web page they would like to put such a file on, I will put it together and send it out.

Larry- as far as modifying you signal goes, the current frequency is as good as any at my QTH - your power cut was something of a blessing in disguise. The dots and spaces are fine - but the longer the transmitter spends transmitting, the more signal there is for people to detect, so I would aim at keeping spaces short.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU
If you are using Pegasus Mail, or any another MIME-compliant system,