LF: Argo, capture timing

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Argo, capture timing
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 22:47:00 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Alberto,  ....er timing...(better go and have a look I dont remember
seeing that... whoops its under the filename.....I obviously either did not
clear the filename or left the default 60secs. As I did not see it in the
menu, I must have thought it was automatic. Oh dear what a stupid boy.....I
reckon my brain has got frazzled with over exposure to Win95!! It was a bit
fraught.

But that is maybe a  useful thought , you could set the default dependent
upon the mode setting, as that defines the screen width. A value slightly
less than a screen width would allow accurate 'pasting' of successive
windows. This would be useful as it is not all that obvious, when you begin
a slow scan, how much time it will take to fill a screen width. Anyone
wanting odd periods between saves to align with transmissions like Jacks
could over type it.

Long dot modes would be very interesting, even though it looks as though
Larry may be able to reduce the dot length a bit. I guess the problem is
going to be going the other way, as Larry is generating a respectable field
strength now. But this could be a easy way to get to grips with the S/N on
9kHz as well.

I am interested to see it suggested that the '2 Hz LF' is a common error on
all the cards. Maybe this is a divide error like Bill had to deal with on
Africa.

I used the Magnitude Squared estimator and left the AGC on. Calibration by a
sig-gen coupling into the aerial and being measured to 0.1Hz resolution on a
counter referenced to Droitwich.  The interesting thing is that there is
little sign of drift over two nights. The RX has a TCXO and has been ON
continuously for four months, but the soundcard seems to perform adequately
considering that the usual 'computer grade' crystals are not usually very
good quality..... and the computer does get switched on an off.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]