Re: LF: Accuracy of Soundcards, programs, and related stuff

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Accuracy of Soundcards, programs, and related stuff
From: [email protected]
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:45:40 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
In a message dated 1/22/01 5:38:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

<< If you tune an FM radio to a stereo station, there is a pilot signal at 19 kHz that is used to regenerate the carrier used for the left - right separation. At least this is true for Europe, don't know for the US. >>

It is the same pilot signal here. However, the frequency accuracy leaves something to be desired. The tolerance in the U.S. is plus-or-minus 2Hz. Most stations do much better than that, but I'm not sure I would trust it as a reference. For most broadcasters, the stereo pilot is one of those "out of sight, out of mind" things.

73,
John  KD4IDY