LF: Stability

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Stability
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:42:21 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Yesterday, I commented on frequency drift seen when using extremely narrow bandwidths. I assumed the cause was my IC-706 Mk1. However, on further investigation, I found the problem was my Datong converter. This was wandering and drifting with temperature. For normal CW or even QRS this is not a problem as the movement was only one or two Hz over a period of several minutes. For 30s dot QRS it is a disaster.

I am now using my IC-706 directly on 136kHz, with a pre-amp/filter and this works fine. Nothing seen of Larry yet but I have some fine photographs of noise and very stable QRM lines.

Now for the transmit side. I very recently managed to persuade my keyer to give me 10s dots, but the stakes have been increased and there is no way it will go up to 30s. Next job is to build a computer/Tx interface and do everything with the PC.

Those following the story of my burnt insulators may like to see the pictures which are now on my web site. Also a demonstration of why you should join together the far ends of a multi-wire top section.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.lf.thersgb.net