LF: Fun on normal CW

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Fun on normal CW
From: "john sexton" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 06:13:23 -0800 (PST)
Sender: <[email protected]>

Hi All,
Got the loading coil all dried out and cleaned up and it does seem to have
made a difference, although I still have to get a decent mast up.
Had a couple of nice normal CW QSOs this a.m. with Mike XDV and John BDQ and
heard several more while doing other jobs: ON6ND, G3XTZ, G3OLB, DJ9IE, G6RO
and GW4HXO, before going out shopping and getting stuck in traffic (must
build a portable rig).
I found that although I am all set up for weak signal reception I am not set
up at all properly for strong signals. My rig has a 500Hz filter fitted,
which is far too wide for normal CW. So with another strong signal 100 Hz
away, I was hard put to concentrate on one station. My CW skills were never
that good and like someone else on the reflector, I had a break of 20 years
when I didn't use CW at all. It is coming back slowly thanks entirely to LF
which IMHO is the ideal band for beginners to improve their CW receive
ability. Top band, 80 etc., is full of CW at 25 wpm and faster - there is no
way I could copy that by ear.
Later I got a call from Finbar, EI0CF, to tell me that he heard and called
me at the end of my QSO with Mike. Unfortunately I didn't hear him because
of the filter problem. At least it tells me that with a bit of effort I
could be putting out a decent signal. Interestingly I have heard him on
quite a lot in the mornings during the week, when there was no competition.
He told me that he has moved (still at Malin Head) and has a better plot, so
please listen out for him and give him a call if you can.
Next project build a decent CW filter that doesn't ring and get the ant up
higher.
73 to all, John, G4CNN

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/