LF: New Faces on 73kHz / VE1ZZ

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: New Faces on 73kHz / VE1ZZ
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 17:16:03 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

Was very pleased to work G3KMP(449) and G0AKY(559) on 71.75kHz this morning. Both Bill and Colin have pretty good signals for this band, so I'm sure many of the 73kHz "regulars" would be able to work them too, noise levels permitting. I believe both stations are using xtal controlled transmitters at the moment, although VFOs are expected before too long. For this reason, it would be a good idea for stations sending beacon signals on the band to stick to the lower band edge for the time being.

I can confirm G3XDV's observation that the Rugby transmitter is currently transmitting just a carrier, just above 73kHz. However, it seems to have significant mains ripple, and the spurs at 50Hz intervals across the band are the limiting factor for normal CW QSOs for me, although much better than the usual racket. A problem with receiving KMP and AKY was that they are on nearly exactly an opposite bearing to Rugby from my QTH, and so trying to null the Rugby noise with a simple loop does not work for me. However, in preparation for the sked, I had plumbed in a 50Hz bandwidth audio filter, and only having to listen to one noise component at a time meant both signals were quite easy to copy. Incidentally, while sorting out the filter last night, I had my receiver parked in the middle of 136kHz band. at about 2330, I noticed a rather good, 'O' copy QRSS signal from VE1ZZ sliding across the screen. It returned again at 0000, but I saw nothing at 0030. Both signals must have been close to audibility.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU