LF: RE: VA3LK seen

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: VA3LK seen
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:25:14 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
I think those monitoring are using the latest version of Argo that
allows 60 and 90 second dots.   I use different software / hardware than
can go arbitrarily narrow.
AGC is always bad news for any automatic monitioring.  It kills any
record of the levels over time and is only there as a convenience for
QSO type operating, not for scientific experiment.

I meant to fix up the loop for listening at the weekend rather than
using the big E field antenna, as others seem to getting much better
copy from VA3LK than me, but got distracted by higher frequency projects
so will try over the next few days to get the 1.2m loop waterproofed and
set up.

G4JNT

I have switched off the AGC in Argo. Although this is very efficient, it puts 'holes' in Morse elements when there is noise, instead of displaying the noise itself. In fact, the only was I can tell the noise level has changed is to look at the apparent strength of the Loran lines. This can be confusing. I will post some pictures to my web site to illustrate this.

Does anyone have any other tips on using this excellent program?

Also, I get tremendous QRM from the broadcast noises (Luxemburg effect?) right at the top of the band during the late evening. Are we really using the optimum frequency?

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.lf.thersgb.net

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information is
prohibited and may be unlawful.