LF: Earth Rods

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Earth Rods
From: "Holger 'Geri', DK8KW" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 08:24:41 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello LF-Group,

I found an easy way to drive in earth rods made from copper water pipe is like this: I found a steel rod of a slightly bigger diameter than the pipe, put a point on the end, and hammered it in to the ground. <

late Peter, DJ8WL also taught me method that is especially useful if you
have soft ground. It makes use of similar techniques as used in my business
(I am a drilling and petroleum engineer): use a garden water hose and
connect it to the upper end of the copper rod. Open the tap and simply wash
down the rod. In  my relatively soft clay/shale ground it took me only a
couple of minutes to wash down a 2-meter long pipe, it depends on the water
pressure, the higher the better I  (in oil-drilling business we say: the
higher the hydraulic energy at the bit is ...).

Best 73

Geri, DK8KW (W1KW)