Re: LF: beacon, Monday night

To: [email protected], "Dexter McIntyre w4dex" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: beacon, Monday night
From: "g3ldo" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:46:09 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

Dexter McIntyre w4dex said:

I am in 30 second dot mode with Argo so I see 6 hz.  At about 0028 UT I
saw a nice 30 second line at 135912.2 hz.  That's all so far.  I will
put Argo on automatic after 0500 UT if you will be transmitting all
night.

I transmitted in beacon mode, just sending my callsign, QRSS, 10 second dots
from 2340 until 0035, with short breaks for monitoring VE1ZZ.
He was visible at around midnight but although the signal was good the QRN
level was very high.

I had problems with frequency control because the outside shack temperature
dropped rather dramatically and I could not initially maintain the frequency
within 3Hz. At around 2315 the temperature stabilized together with the
frequency, which finished up at 135912.2Hz according to my frequency
counter. The transmitter was switched off at 0035 when I went to bed.

In my limited experience of marginal QRSS signals I have found that slight
imperfections (characteristics) went a long way to initial identification.
This is because the signal is embedded in a mass of 'perfect', and often
dashed Loran lines.

Regards,
Peter, G3LDO

<[email protected]>