LF: Re: Reception of Larry

To: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Reception of Larry
From: "john sexton" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 08:52:45 -0800 (PST)
Cc: [email protected]
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Alan,
Thought I should acknowledge your several e-mails regarding Translatlantic
reception and say thanks.
I haven't monitored for Larry since I managed to get a complete sequence a
week ago now, but it begins to look as though I was just lucky, judging from
the reports from others. So I shall have another go tonight.
The pre-dawn period does appear to be best for Larry, but I suspect that
this may not be true for Jack, based on previous monitoring, i.e. the best
time may well depend on where the station is in the U.S. or Canada. The CFH
peaks were earlier in the night were they not?
It was also interesting to see how several others have had this experience
of the QRN almost suddenly disappearing around 6 ish (it occurred at 6.20
when I first saw it), but I am not convinced that we know the reason yet.
I also agree that Solar maximum is probably not a good time for these
experiments and anticipate that by the time of the minimum, transatlantic
QSOs on LF may well be commonplace.
You mention that one of the other dual lines about 0.5Hz higher in frequency
fades out about 30 minutes earlier than Larry. I too had seen this. It is
the higher frequency one at almost exactly 137790 to within 0.1Hz. It would
be interesting to know what and where the transmitter is. The modulation is
too high a frequency for us to see it with Argo, but may contribute to the
fading and blurring that I see.
By the way the strong line at 137763.8 appears to be a DCF42/DCF49
intermodulation spur as described recently by Markus. This frequency fits
exactly the formula he gave.
73, John, G4CNN

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/